Pages

Monday, August 01, 2011

Is Your House Toxic? Mold and Mildew

Is Your House Making You Sick?

Many of you are living in old houses or houses with water damage. We moved into one in April. We are in the process right now of trying to fix our living room roof, damaged by the swamp cooler in the past. I have not had problems with allergies or sneezing in 25 years, until now. We have a heavy duty air cleaner in the living room where the damage is, but that only helps. How do I know it helps? When we turn it off, I will get congested and go into a sneezing fit within two hours of turning it off. I have had head aches and brain fog, not feeling right. It is not affecting my lungs at this point but depending on the type of mold, can get into your lungs. When it does, you may get breathing problems or asthma. You may get a lung infection that will not go away despite treatment. A chronic cough is typical. You may feel overall toxic or unwell. You may feel abnormal fatigue or nausea. The lungs are enclosed so treatment is difficult by either standard or alternative medicine.  You can get seriously ill.

What can you do? I personally take 3000 mgs of Vitamin C a day which does stop the congestion and sneezing. Getting to the base problem of redoing the ceiling damage, is the most important thing. If you don't have the money to fix it, try to stay out of that area. Repair the roof, so it does not get worse. Above all wear a face mask when working on that area. I now wear a mask when I dust and clean the room. I wear a mask when I clean the air filter. You must clean the air filter weekly in a house with problems.

Lung Support and Mold Detox Formulas:  One of the steps you can take when living in a toxic house is to take a lung support formula and go through a mold detox program. There are formulas that are specifically for detoxifying the lungs. It is important to try and clear your body of the toxins. I also am taking an immune formula to help my body stay strong.  Environmental toxins are a overload on the body as a whole and on the immune system. That is just common sense, if you think about it. How can it not be? You must give your body some tools to fight the onslaught.

Steps To Take:

Try to replace or repair all that damage, ASAP.   
Replace old carpet and install tile if possible.
Replace old drapperies.
Replace moldy areas of the wall and treat with bleach.
Try to dust and clean often wearing a mask.
Try to keep the clutter down, again because of the dust.
Avoid using chemicals in the house if possible.
Buy a good air cleaner for your house and have one installed if there is a room with mold damage.

Closing off for now, Kate, The Herbladyisin

Update Note:  We moved from this house in the end. The plumbing fell apart and the owners did not have the money to fix it.  The house was unsafe in many respects. It was an experience we will remember living in that house. 

Updated 9-10-2016

Goodnight,
Kate Freer, The Herbladyisin

Growing and Using Moringa and Healing Herbs Blog 

http://www.alternativemedicine-womenshealth-articles.com  (published articles on Moringa, women's health, and alternative medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment